Thurgood Marshall Federal Courthouse
The Thurgood Marshall U.S. Federal Courthouse towers 37 stories above Foley Square in lower Manhattan. It was designed by famed architect Cass Gilbert in neoclassical style in keeping with most important federal buildings of its era. Construction on the courthouse was completed in 1936. It is flanked by equally distinguished historic buildings, including the New York State Supreme Court Building and Manhattan Municipal Building, among others. In 2001, the courthouse was renamed in honor of Thurgood Marshall, the first African-American U.S. Supreme Court Justice. It is home to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and the U.S. District Court or the Southern District of New York. The project architects were Beyer Blinder Belle and Davis Brody Bond, and the lighting designer was Domingo Gonzalez.This project won the honor award from GSA as well as the Chairmans Award from New York Landmarks Conservancy.